Business owners often ask us what SEO entails. Despite the still-common belief, good SEO doesn’t consist of “manipulating” Google’s algorithm. To the contrary, ranking on the first page for your services is more a matter of following online marketing best practices and adhering to search engine guidelines and capitalizing on what we actually know about how Google works.
To rank well, you need:
- Keyword Research to anticipate how people search for your services
- Onsite Optimization built onto your website so Google and Bing start to associate those keywords with you
- Speed and Mobility so your website loads fast and works well on mobile devices
- Accurate business listing citations on the web’s top directories and data aggregators
- Lots of great reviews on your Google My Business listing
- Great, keyword-rich content posted regularly on your site
- Links from other sites showing you are trusted, authoritative, and valuable
Easy, right? Well, not exactly, but it at least helps to know what we’re up against when we want to be in the “modern phonebook” on page 1 of Google and Bing. The following describes how we break this all down in our recommended 6-month SEO projects.