Updated December 2018.
Note: Looking for an actionable Local SEO Checklist for 2019? At the end of this post, you can download a PDF that distills all the important points into checklist items. You can also watch our in-depth video below.
“I know I need to work on SEO for my business’s website, but there’s so much to do and learn and I don’t know where to start.”
If that’s something you’ve said (or found yourself thinking), then this blog post is for you!
We want to de-mystify this arcane art of search engine optimization. We’re doing that by giving you a checklist-style guide to the main things you should be concerned about when it comes to SEO for your local business.
First off, here’s the big picture as a series of straightforward bullet points:
The Local SEO Checklist
- Find the keywords you want to target and rank for.
- Use your keywords for effective onsite optimization.
- Update your site to use SSL.
- Proactively work on link building.
- Get your Google My Business page up to date and ask for Google reviews.
- Create, post, and promote unique, high-quality, original content.
- Use website analytics to measure your results.
- Have a snappy and responsive mobile site that loads quickly.
Now we’ll take a look at each of these items, and explain how you can take practical steps to improve your business’s SEO.